How to shop when “how to be healthy” is not spelled out for you.
ACV. MACROS. PREBIOTIC. PROBIOTIC. NON-GMO. GL.GI. BPA. In a health-conscious society, we all want to feel, look and relate better. And from what healthy people are telling one another, it all starts with what you eat. What is in your food. What is not in your food. What is considered good and what is frowned upon as bad. So you make the decision. You are going to make healthy changes and you are going to start with making positive food choices. You are excited. Inspired. Ready to set goals and meet them. Look in the mirror and see a healthier reflection of you.
Finding yourself in the grocery store, you realize that there is an overwhelming amount of words and abbreviations somehow connected with being healthy. Jumping out at you from every aisle are product labels mocking you, daring you to try your hand at decipherment. You want to run. Quickly. To the nearest fast-food joint. A place where you know what FF means. But before you grab your recyclable bag and make a bee-line for the exit, take a moment. A deep breath. It’s gonna be alright. All of the codification causing you to suddenly crave greasy fries actually does make sense and can assist you with your quest for self wellness. So exhale. Grab a grocery cart. Take those aisles with confidence. We have done the decoding for you.
- ACV. Better known as Apple Cider Vinegar, having a bottle in the cabinet is essential. Full of iron, detoxing phenolic compounds, prebiotic pectin and acetic acid, ACV helps you to feel fuller for a longer period of time while promoting healthy digestion in your body.
- MACROS. Short for macronutrients, macros give us the energy in our bodies that we need to keep moving. The three macronutrients, carbohydrates, fats and proteins, are essential for fat loss and muscle gain.
- PREBIOTIC. Prebiotics, indigestible dietary fibers in certain foods, help probiotics and good bacteria grow in the body. Prebiotics help break down foods for improved digestion and help ensure that your stomach remains healthy.
- PROBIOTIC. Live bacteria and yeasts that are good for your health and digestive system are known as Probiotics. Having probiotics in your stomach have been linked with mood and weight.
- Non-GMO. The opposite of Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO), non-GMO means that the ingredients that are used in the product are not derived from genetically manipulated material, nor have the ingredients been lab-altered.
- GL. The glycemic measurement that tells how quickly sugar in carbohydrates raise blood sugar levels, is known as the GL, or the Glycemic Load. The GL is the best indicator on how the carbohydrate in the food being consumed will affect the blood sugar.
- GI. Short for Glycemic Index, the GI tells you how much of a carbohydrate will affect blood sugar levels and how much will be digested. Foods that are high on the GI can cause fatigue and low moods.
- BPA. Most often seen on cans and water bottles, BPA stands for Bisphenol A, an industrial chemical that is used to make some plastics and resins. BPA can cause health problems including risk of asthma and diabetes. When buying products look for BPA-FREE.
Making changes for the betterment of your health is not necessarily easy. Nobody said that it would be. But worth it? Yup. Absolutely. Once you make the decision and get down some of the basics, you will be on your way to meeting your goals of living a better, healthier life. Just stick with it. Be confident. Decode. You’ve got this.